Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Canoeing

Ah! I tried to put this in my header, but it is huge! I'm not at my computer to make it smaller, so thought I would just put it in a post. As a general rule, I love to paddle the canoe around a small lake. This is at the Daingerfield State Park http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/daingerfield/ - a beautiful area. I have heard it described as one of the best kept secrets in the Texas State Park system. If you decide to check it out, let me know! I'll bring a freezer of homemade ice cream!!


Shortly after purchasing the canoe a few short years ago, we put in on the Colorado River at the Bay City park for a leisurely float. I forget if it was supposed to be 3 hours or 4, but we finished an hour ahead of time. While alternately paddling and resting, I had a sudden thought. Turning (carefully) to my husband, I asked, "Oh, are their any alligators in the river?" He answered as he pointed with his paddle, "Sure. There's a six-footer over there on the bank."


"WHAT?!" Near panic set in. Canoes are notoriously unstable. My paddle never once dried during the remainder of the trip. Sam had to make me head to shore for lunch. Since I sat the front of the canoe (all nautical terms have deserted me), I had to step out and drag the canoe on the bank. I had to put my foot in alligator infested waters! After eating, he had to make me get back in the canoe...I was ready to walk until I remembered that an alligator can outrun a human on dry land. Back in the canoe...steadily paddling...not a leisurely float.


All of a sudden, as I was dipping my paddle in the water, the water churned just as my hand was on the lowest part of the downsweep...right beside that said hand. I jerked and yelled. Sam said the whole canoe jerked. A fish had turned over on the water's surface. Sam laughed. I steamed.


You know. I finally figured it out. If an alligator dumped us, I did not have to outswim the alligator...I just had to outswim my husband!


I did get the final laugh. Sam had purchased a brimmed hat at Academy that had a mesh top. The top of his head was sunburned.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like a beautiful lake, gorgeous day! Ummm that ice cream sounds awfully good!

JessicaSews said...

What a great picture!

I'm enjoying your blog!

I want to try several of your recipes, yum!

Enjoy Sewing!!

Donna said...

Looks like great fun. Nice story, made me chuckle a few times.