Monday, January 5, 2009

Cold and Wet

All day long. We woke to a wet day which rapidly turned wetter. I don't know that it is any colder. Stayed about 40ish all day long.

I was inside the school subbing for the Spanish teacher. LOL Como esta? Bien. Y tu? That's about the extent of what I remember. I've always wanted to learn Spanish...just don't want to have to do it for a grade. From what I understand, to truly learn a language, you need to go to the country where it is spoken and become saturated in it. Sigh. ***Oh, my! I came back and read this. Sorry if I offended anyone.***

I wore my new socks to school today. They were noticed too. ;o) One of the boys commented on them. Later someone else asked if I couldn't wear anything 'louder'. They look blue, but actually they are more purple.



Last Saturday, I went with Carol, Katy, and Maddie to the Daingerfield State Park. They contemplated the beautifully clear water.




Near the swimming area, before we knew it, Maddie climbed up on a tree stump. She showed Katy how to do it.


I put a few homemade peanut butter cookies in a baggie and passed them out before leaving the park. Alas. I am dieting and didn't eat a single one. I had to raid the freezer to take some to the park. On Sunday, I kept passing through the kitchen staring at the one lone cookie Sam left on the countertop. I couldn't stand it.


They are so good! This is a recipe from my childhood. Way back when I was a teenager at home, I decided to bake. I pulled the peanut butter cookie recipe out and gathered the ingredients. I called Mama, who at the time worked at the Bee (local newspaper), and asked her what "oleo" was.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed

2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda



Cream butter with peanut butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda over creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Form into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press flat with a fork, crisscrossing pattern. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.


Have you found the cookie scoops? I want one in every available size! Currently I have only two. I used the smallest that I have when I made the truffles. They make perfectly uniform size cookies. And for cleanup, just pop in the dishwasher. So much better than scooping with a teaspoon and scraping off on the cookie sheet or rolling round in your hands. No gooey, sticky hands. I had one with a plastic handle...don't buy that kind. Get the all metal scoops.

1 comment:

Cherry said...

The cookie scoops look super - never seen them before! I wonder if they are available in Australia? Hope so!