Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cooking Up a Frenzy

Okay. It's like this. Sam had rather eat out. Since he's retired, it's his social time. He has also decided that he doesn't like leftovers. So, for a year or year and a half, I've been sauteing 2 chicken breasts, or 2 small hamburger steaks, or searing 2 small pork steaks. Anything to keep from having leftovers. I haven't really "cooked" except for when we expect company. Have you ever tried to make a 2 serving meatloaf? Or a 2 serving roast? What about 2 serving beef stew or chicken soup?

!!!!!!

The last time (1-1 1/2 years ago) that I was going to make homemade lasagna and was getting the ingredients out of the pantry and the refrigerator, Sam walked in and said, "I'd rather have a hamburger." I put everything away.

I am tired of eating out. I cook better than that. I swear that I am cleaner than that. My hot food is generally hot. Cold food is...yep, you guessed it...cold. I can actually have all the food on the table at the same time therefore no one has an extremely hot plate and one a so-so cold plate. So...I decided...I'm cooking for real again.

Sunday:
baked chicken with a good crispy crust
rice
buttermilk gravy
asparagus with butter

Monday:
LASAGNA!!!
rest of the asparagus (Oops! LEFTOVERS!)
garlic toast

Today:
sour cream chicken enchiladas (with leftover baked chicken)
Spanish rice
"Mexican" slaw

Tomorrow:
LEFTOVERS!!! I have a wonderful choice!


I am in hog heaven! I'll eat the leftovers while Sam goes for his hamburgers. (I call them hockey pucks and order an overpriced salad.)


In the near future:
I have a picnic ham in the freezer. It's coming out of hibernation.
Then, how about a pot of pinto beans cooked with that leftover ham-bone that will still have chunks of ham clinging to it?

Did you have a question? Mexican Slaw?? At the last company I worked for full time, one of my duties was ordering the meal for the board meeting. After the board meeting, whatever was leftover was put in the employees' break room. One of our local (Lake Jackson/Clute/Freeport) restaurants had this on the menu. Several of us stood around tasting and brainstorming...Barbara K. came up with this:

Mexican Slaw

4 cups cabbage, shredded
carrots, shredded
red cabbage, shredded
1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup whole kernel corn, drained
2 tablespoons jalepenos, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon green chiles, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2/3 cup mayonnaise (actually Barbara used Miracle Whip salad dressing)
1/3 cup sour cream
dash of chili powder, optional

salt and pepper to taste

Just mix everything and chill.

No comments: