Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mama and Me

Mama and I went to Mt. View Arkansas for a few days. In her mini-van not on the motorcycle. When she found out that Sam set out on his trip to and around the Grand Canyon...and that I was not going...she made reservations in Mt. View...and off we went. To...Mountains, Music, and Motorcycles! Mt. View's annual motorcycle event. Which we knew nothing about! We were surprised that she could get a room on such short notice during the event.

We saw motorcycles...


Motorcycles...

And more motorcycles!

We made it to several antique stores in the area. She directed me around behind 'town proper' in Calico Rock and found a 'ghost' town. I've forgotten the name...but the area was evidently once fairly prosperous if the amount of abandoned commerical buildings is any indicator.

While sitting in Jimmy Driftwoods', I tried the self-photo thing. I'm not very good at this.

I received a back-handed compliment from Pat Cash aka Aunt Minnie at Cash's White River Hoedown. Sam has a joke that he tells about grandpa and the outhouse. I told Pat. She told me that I looked like my mother but acted like my dad. ;o)

Pat is the main comedic act at the Hoedown. Daddy would tell her jokes that he had heard. Some she could clean up and use in her act. Some...not.

I told it like this:

We spent a lot of time at my grandparents. As we arrived one evening, my uncle grabbed my oldest brother and our older cousin for help in moving the outhouse. He'd dug a new hole.

That night Grandpa woke the entire household hollering, "Fire! Fire!" We all jumped up out of beds, Daddy found a flashlight and everyone ran outside to the sound of Grandpa hollering, "Fire! Fire!" Grandpa had fallen in the old outhouse hole. Every time he bobbed up, he hollered, "Fire! Fire!" About the third time he bobbed up, my uncle grabbed him. He and Daddy got Grandpa pulled out of the hole and cleaned off somewhat.

One of my brothers asked, "Grandpa, why were you hollering 'fire'?"

Grandpa said, "How much attention do you think I'd gotten if I'd hollered, 'Sh#t'!?"

My mother, who was listening, looked at Pat and said, "That did not happen with my family." She turned and walked off.

I'm sure she walked off because of her back. She's facing another back surgery. When she's walked or stood as long as she can stand it...she HAS to sit...then gets immediate relief...

3 comments:

Shogun said...

That abandoned building looks so pretty - I love those old buildings.

Is your mom really getting back surgery? I work in 3 areas of a hospital and one area is the ortho/rehab section with the knee/hip/back surgeries.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had fun - last I had read you were going to the Grand Canyon - decided not to huh. had a fun time with your mom instead that is nice.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shogun said...

I have been working this week in the ortho/rehab section of the hospital with some back surgeries, etc. It is such a hard thing for people to go through those surgeries. I will keep in touch with you to see how things are going.