Thursday, February 14, 2008

Starting the Stitching

I asked if points were going to be counted off for using the fancy stitches on my sewing machine. ;0) On the two "class" blocks, I will try very hard to use a few more hand stitches than machine stitches, and perhaps the evening bag will be all hand stitched. I make no such promises on the other seven blocks! When a person has invested good hard-earned money in an expensive computerized sewing machine, it just makes good sense to utilize the machine.


These first blocks are the "class" blocks. See the nice hand stitches?! NO? I can't either! On the first block, squint at the pink and you'll see a long and short blanket stitch. Then check out apricot and green blades on the fan.





I did a close up of the second block so you can see the stitches better.










The first embroidery work I did was as a teenager. Mama taught me a few stitches so I could make dresser scarves and pillowcases. It's just not my "thing." I did counted cross stitch back in the early 1980s. I did several pieces for my son's nursery. After that...that's all I wanted.
When I have a threaded needle in my hand, I want to spend time at my quilt frame.

Just a few of the machine embroidery stitches...


I sewed the corner of a cutwork napkin on this block. I also decided to "audition" my mother-in-law's cameo brooch.


No comments: