Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Raining = Cooler Temperatures!

We have been blessed with a chance of rain from Saturday through Thursday. Of course, 20% chance of rain means 80% of no rain. But today. RAIN! Glorious...blessed...RAIN. Temperature is about 75 degrees. Areas around us are getting more rain, but I am extremely happy for what we are getting.

I made salsa yesterday. Last year's batch came out okay, but I really had to tweek the recipe as I went along. Waaay too much vinegar which required waaay too much sugar.

I found a Pace Picante sauce knock-off recipe. It was made with canned tomato sauce. I added fresh tomatoes from Mama's garden. This should be enough for Mama and us. With a jar or two for giveaways.

Sherry's Salsa

1 gallon peeled chopped tomatoes
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 medium onions, minced
6 large fresh jalapenos, chopped - more or less
3/4 cup vinegar
3 teaspoons salt
7 or so garlic cloves, minced

Bring all ingredients to a boil in large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or longer until thick. I don't like sweet salsa. I save my sugar for desserts. ;o) Remove from heat. Pack into jars and process in boiling water bath for 30 minutes.

Some people like a sweet salsa. If you do, just add sugar to taste...1/4 cup at a time...stir and taste before adding more.

1 comment:

Shogun said...

I am really hoping for rain here. We had a one minute sprinkle about an hour ago..which only made it muggier! The humidity is just awful and the gardens need water!!