Tuesday, February 1, 2011

True Grit

Okay. Now I've seen them both. Which is best?

John Wayne was a fantastic actor. This is one of the few movies he starred in that I did not like. I think that the lack of acting ability of the other two affected his acting as in "Who gives a care?" Glen Campbell could not act - PERIOD. How he ever got the part in the first place is beyond me. And poor Kim Darby just flat overacted her part. The blame, I guess, has to be placed on the director...
Sam and I watched the new version this evening. I liked it. Jeff Bridges is definitely NOT John Wayne, but he did a decent job and had I never seen John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn, I would've liked Bridges' in the role much better. Matt Damon has already proven himself. LOL When he (as LaBeouf) nearly bit his tongue off then lisped throughout the remainder of the movie. And that little girl! Hailee Steinfeld. Double thumbs up! And just as an aside...Barry Pepper compared to Robert Duvall...so sorry. Robert Duvall wins that comparison hands down!My complaint...the 'cadence' of the speech. It was more like they were on stage instead of on film. It was really a bit disconcerting to watch because of that.

But...I still enjoyed the 2010 version much, much better than the 1969 movie.

1 comment:

Thearica said...

I have still not made up my mind as to which I like the best. But I do agree, it was like they were trying too hard to act in the new movie.

We watched every single John Wayne movie there was when we were growing up. My granny Ida lived with us and he was her man!! He became a household fixture around our home. :)