Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vertigo

Do you remember Alfred Hitchock's movie, "Vertigo"? I loved Jimmy Stewart! I never understood - vertigo though. Until somewhere around 1998/99 when I had my very first full-blown episode.

A few years before that, I can remember getting up in the middle of the night making a trip to the bathroom. It's a good thing that I had all left-hand turns from the bedroom because that's the way that I listed. A bit off-keelter. Ron noticed because he was sitting up late watching an old movie. From his recliner, he had a direct shot down the hall and saw me stumbling around. I can still remember him laughing about me listing to the left. :o)

Daddy called me only twice saying, "Your mama needs you." No questions asked, I grabbed keys, jumped in the car, and flew over there. One of those times, Mama was in the bathroom floor resting her cheek on the commode. If she moved her head, she puked. (Is there a 'graceful' word for that?)

Shortly after Sam and I married and moved me and Jonathan to Lake Jackson, I had a full-blown episode...probably 1998 or 1999. For a few days I would wake in the morning, get out of the waterbed and stand there until I could get my feet under me. Then, THE morning, I couldn't get my feet under me. I swayed, the room spun, I broke out in a cold sweat before laying back across the bed. Sam, knowing that I should be getting ready for work by that time, stuck his head out of the master bath. He helped me to my feet and held me until I got steady. I'm doing okay. Go to the bathroom, sit on the commode. I'm doing okay. As it was a cool morning, I reached for my socks. I was gone. Nearly feel off the commode.

Sam got me back to bed. Mopped the sweat off me and brought me a dry gown. He left me with some crackers and a 7-Up. Like I was going to drink anything and risk having to go to the bathroom before he could get back to the house at lunch. I don't know when I've been that miserable.

I had another episode this weekend. Not as bad as the above mentioned episode which caused me to miss two days of work. But this has lingered. Just when I think I'm okay, I moved my head too quickly. Or flop over in the middle of the night to change position.
Last night while getting ready to make stewed potatoes, I dropped a piece of potato in the floor. I almost bent down to retrieve it. Caught myself. Sam picked it up for me on his way through the kitchen.
This too shall pass.
Might as well leave you with a recipe...
Stewed Potatoes
Peel and dice as many potatoes as you need. Allow about one potato per person. Dice them into half-inch size pieces...some larger...some smaller. Barely cover with water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. If you have a burner that turns down fairly low, use that burner. Simmer continuing to let the water bubble/almost boil so that the water cooks out. Be careful not to scorch your potatoes. Using REAL butter, put in as much in as you want. Stir until the butter is melted. Some of the potatoes will break down; this along with the butter will make a "thickening."
Enjoy!

2 comments:

tisme said...

I have had these incidents once in a great while and they are NOT fun.
Hope you feel better soon.
BTW, I live near Indiana, PA where Jimmy Stewart was born and raised. The is a museum dedicated to him here, and a huge statue of him.
Don`t you just love the movie where he had the huge rabbit friend?? Harvey, was the name of it. I had to go google it, for some reason, just could not remember the name.
Old age maybe!!!! lol
Tammy

Gloria P. said...

Hi I was thinking about you so, I dropped by to browse your blog and I understand your not feeling up to par...dizzy? If I where you I would let the doctor know it sounds to me like it could possibly be your blood pressure...or you could even have problem with your inner ear...anyway as a nurse who worked in cardiac care ic unit, I highly recommend you go to your Primary care Doctor and you should probably have a work up don't by a cardiologist - stress test et cetera....it can't hurt.

You know heart attacks are the number one killer for white females.
Take care of you and thanks for sharing the recipe.