Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Long Day

Mama had a doctor's appointment in Tyler today. The x-ray was at 11:30. We saw the doctor about 3:30. Not good news. Her back (disc fusing) is not healing properly. The original fusion is just fine. The additional disc added in October...not. He's done all he can do from the backside without serious risk to nerve damage and...and of course I had to ask, "Paralysis?" The answer was yes. If it doesn't look better in three months...Mama is facing another surgery to install a larger "cage" from the front. I just about started crying. I mean. Enough is enough. How much more...

She can't take the 'good' pain killers. My mother would not have made a good addict. She throws up the good stuff. I would type "LOL" except it's not funny when the strongest thing that you can take after surgery is Darvocet. And in case you didn't know...she had triple by-pass in 1997 and a hip replacement in 2002. She's had back surgery in 2000, 2003, 2005, and 2009. Darvocet. That's it. They try the harder stuff and give her something for her stomach...it might work once but don't give her a second dose.

The doctor told her that she was one tough lady. She started chattering and he said, "You're cute." She said, "I used to be when I had lots of dark naturally curly hair." He started laughing and said, "I meant your attitude." Then she talked about me being her only child without naturally curly hair but had the least gray. He looked at me. "Your hair color is natural?" "Yes. I don't have to buy it in a bottle." ;o)

As we left, Mama told him, "You take good care of yourself. If I have to have another surgery, I want you. I don't trust anyone else." He was genuinely pleased and thanked her profusely.

Pray for a miracle! My mama needs one.

2 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Sherry, I'm so sorry to hear about Mama's back problems. Yep, they are tough old birds, but there'll be thoughts and prayers for some relief for her.

Hope the job (yikes - that word) goes well for you and that you enjoy it.

Kar said...

I will surely say a prayer or two for your Mama. Give her a big, gentle, hug.

xxxx